Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stitches for Redwork



While watching the Olympic games on tv, I kept my hands busy trying various stitches for embroidery on some inexpensive stamped quilt blocks that I bought at a local store. I'm using size 8 DMC perle cotton and love not having to separate the strands!


On this block, I tried four kinds of stitches. The rope, the arm, the hat and the bow are done in stem stitch. I'm a little rusty on my embroidery stitches (haven't done much since high school) and it shows on the bow. But I doubt that anyone will notice once this block is in a completed project.


I used my own wierd version of the backstitch to do the bottom flowers and scallops. It looks okay on top, but it's messy looking on the back side and uses lots of thread. Still, I like this stitch, especially for small things with tight curves.


The shoes and the flowers on the hat were done with a faux chain stitch. I haven't seen my version of this stitch in any embroidery stitch encyclopedia either! Like my weird backstitch, this one is a bit messy on the back side, but it makes a smooth, solid line on top.


My favorite stitch on this block is the whipped running stitch. I used this stitch for the dress, the sleeve and the hat band. This stitch goes fast and has a soft, ruffly or fluted appearance. I like it for clothing and think it would be great for furry animals, but I'm not sure I'd like it for body parts. Maybe I'll try it on the next block to see what it looks like.


By the way, if you're familiar with these blocks you've probably noticed that the butterfly is missing. I discovered that zipper-lock plastic bags don't necessarily prevent moisture from getting to fabric. I left my bag in the sun one day and condensation formed on the inside. These blocks are pinted with an ink that easily washes out, and my butterfly did just that. Since the butterfly was so close to the corner and difficult to get in a 6" hoop, I decided not to bother drawing it in freehand.

No comments: